View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM
Exon Auxus Offline

Send a message via AIM to Exon Auxus
Default Re: If by "Christian love" you mean hatred & contempt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom0990 View Post
^ Then why all the fluffed words? Just come in and say to keep it chill? This isn't real life. It's the internet. You don't say anything unless you mean to, otherwise there's this handy 'edit' button.

Translation, that's bull. If you wanted to say that post, that's the kind of post you PM someone. Not post publicly unless you are looking for attention.
It's a moderator's job to ensure all discussions remain objective and respectful. It's also not a New Trainer's job to tell a moderator how to do his job. Food for thought.

I'm Non-denominational Christian.

Something that really bothers me is that people often desire a logical explanation of everything in Christianity. Where is God? Why did Jesus die for your sins if he was a God and could kill them all? What was the point of all these events anyway? What's all that nonsense with a dragon and junk in the Bible? What about evolution? How is the Bible symbolic? Eh, truth is, most Christians can't honestly and accurately answer all of those kind of questions. A keystone principle in Christianity is the faith-based dedication to a set of morals and values. It's something we've come to respect and at least attempt to emulate in our daily lives. Everyone has to believe in the invisible, even if itís simply air or wind. But just because someone is a Christian doesnít mean that they know, or are even required to know, the answer to every questionable aspect of the religion.

Ministers are often seen as corrupt too. Some are sexist, and others even seem a little cheesy in how they give their messages. Then you get people who point at that and say it's just silly. I agree. I also believe that it is wholly impossible to form your opinion on something as sizable as a religion based solely on one, two, or even a few occurrences. That minister doesn't represent the vast majority of Christians, nor does he represent the values of Christianity. It just seems silly to me when someone goes to one church, or one event, doesn't like it, and instantly denounces it forever. The church I grew up attending was great, because the ministers were so level-headed and just had a joy for life. There was no pretending to be fake, acting silly on television, or hatred for any faction of people.

With religion aside, I would rather follow a set of morals that uphold humanity than a lifestyle that disgraces it. Well that begs the question of how some Christians view homosexuality, abortion, and other social issues. All of that nonsense is technical in my opinion, and varies from person to person, sometimes almost completely regardless of religion. People can think and believe whatever they want, and no one has the right to disturb that privilege. The problems start coming when people attempt to start imposing their beliefs on others in attempts to force them to submit to a certain lifestyle. For example, Christianity does not approve of homosexuality, and I agree with this. However, I also believe that it's far outside of my power to attempt to get rid of homosexuals or purge them of their sexual orientation. Nor would I ever have the audacity or energy to waste my time even trying. They're free to do what they want, and my opinion of someone doesn't change because they have some quality or some condition that's unapproved by Christianity. The judging is for God. One teaching that not many people know is that we are advised to hate the sin, and not the sinner. Then you wonder about the many ways people can become homosexual. Doesnít matter to me. Again, it doesnít change my opinion of the person or make me wish the worst for them.

It all comes down to faith for my Christian beliefs. And you could argue that faith is just a lousy attempt to justify and answer all of the loopholes and problems with Christianity, but then I think you've missed the point of the religion and are very welcome to respectfully hold your own beliefs despite continuous disagreements.