View Single Post
Old 09-16-2011, 03:59 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Re: How does one formulate an idea for a story?

Come on everyone. Be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
Nobody will hate you.

What is confusing? I agree with what Scy said. But the way she worded it made it seem like there can be nothing that is cliche.

Cliche simply means overused. There are several of aspects that are overused, but several more that are not. Simply put, do not worry about being cliche. People who try to stick to a rigid process when thinking up of stories write cliche things. Now shush, and start writing. Be free! xD
Well, what I meant to say (I think we can all agree that I'm terrible at explaining things) is that ideas used in a certain way can be cliche, but that a lot of these so-called cliche things are too vague to be considered cliche right from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
Don't listen to two of our best writers! They're just being unoriginal! IT'S A TRA-
This actually made me laugh because I imagined a certain character of mine saying that... XD

Anyway, to bring this back on topic, there are a lot of different ways you can get ideas for stories. I don't really follow any set pattern; sometimes I start my idea with something vague, other times it's a detail that I start building ideas around. I think it helps to think of certain places or situations and think "How could I make a story out of this?/Add something like this to my story?" You may not always get ideas you want to keep, but I find myself thinking about that whenever I think about some nature picture/TV show/music/dreams/random thought I just had/whatever. And then add characters. Or start off with character ideas. Maybe try several different ways to brainstorm and see what works best.

And Max, don't give up on trying to be helpful. There are a lot of other things you can help people with in their writing. If you aren't sure how/what to write a guide on yet, you can keep reviewing stories and giving people advice that way. Even that does a lot of good.

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-

Last edited by Scytherwolf; 09-16-2011 at 04:01 AM.