View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 03:28 AM
Scytherwolf Offline

Default Re: How does one formulate an idea for a story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max0596 View Post
Okay. I'll give it another shot. A 'cliche's to avoid' section. Maybe if I said 'a section on what cliche's to avoid'? my first sentence made perfect sense...
Do you mean you want to make one of these? If you do, I'd be careful with it. I think a lot of things people consider 'cliche' are really too vague to be cliches. I think cliches are more like specific outcomes of a certain situation (like your pokemon being captured by Team Rocket example). I'm just having a really hard time seeing that as a cliche because the idea is so simple; there are so many interesting things you could do with it.

Personally I'd rather focus on writing the ideas you want to well and in an interesting way, rather than what ideas are apparently 'no-no's'. I see a lot of people saying certain things are cliche, like, say, a trainer capturing an eevee. But, why? Sure it happens a lot in stories, but I don't see it as any different to capturing any other pokemon. The effect on the story (a new character is added) is the same. And "new character is added" is a REALLY, really vague concept. (And the whole thing with eevees being rare never really mattered to me either, since there are still plenty of logical ways a trainer could obtain one (through a breeding center, a secluded place in the wild where they are common, a chance encounter (with a reason that is explained), etc., etc.).) I think having a trainer get an eevee that is absurdly powerful or is obtained in a way that doesn't make sense or is never explained is closer to a cliche than just 'eevee' and would apply to a trainer obtaining any pokemon.

I think if you break any idea down into something that simple, there just isn't enough detail to tell if it will be pulled off in a creative way. I personally think story plots are far too complex to judge based on those bare details of an event. There's far more to creativity than picking an idea and thinking, "I'm going to do this" so the less-common simple ideas don't automatically impress me either; I have to see where the author takes them and how the story plays out.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I think it's more how an idea is used that makes it cliche (and that saying a species is cliche is just plain ridiculous) and I think that people should play around with their ideas and see for themselves if they work or not, and how, rather than just being told, "No, don't do this."

Thanks to Lunar Latias for the banner and Kirimori for the picture!

-My Links-