View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Do you believe in God etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessu View Post
Faith is believing in what we can't see, not believing what everyone tells you, that's gullibility.

For example, can we see the air we breathe? How do we know it's there? If I were to go and say that air didn't exist, I would be thought of as a complete and total idiot. We can't see it, but we know it's there by the effects that we allow it to have over us, because it allows us to breathe and keep us alive. Oh, and wind, but that's not the point. The same idea applies to true Christians and God. They can't see God, but they can feel His presence at times and get overwhelmed physically or emotionally.
Air can be objectively identified. God cannot. Your comparison is invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pe2k Voices View Post
@Lusankya: What reason do you have for not believing in a God? There is no evidence to prove or disprove the existence of God, therefore you believe there is no God. You are putting as much faith in that as theists are into God.
The initial assumed state of every possible concept must be "nonexistent". If you start off assuming everything exists, then your belief system cannot possibly function. Thus, we must seek to prove that things exist, rather than things do not exist. Believing in things because there's no evidence against them is simply stupid. In layman's terms, I don't believe in God for the same reason that I don't believe in unicorns, mermaids, Bigfoot or Scientology. It's not a matter of faith, but practicality. To do the opposite is to believe in everything, something that makes a person certifiably insane. Once again, we return to the fact that your argument, if it is to be applied to anything, results in the absurd outcome that you must believe in it because there's nothing that disproves its existence; and that goes as much for God as it does for little green men living under your bed. Hence, as I've said, you don't actually believe in what your own argument. Because if you did, you'd be in an asylum, or a nursing home, and you certainly wouldn't have the mental capacity to make a coherent post here.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 07-18-2011 at 10:22 PM.