View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Teddiursa of the Sky Offline

Send a message via Skype™ to Teddiursa of the Sky
Default Re: Do you believe in God etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthar View Post
No, we have the illusion of free will. If we take the Bible to be fact, then let's take a look at the story of creation. If we hold God to be an all knowing, all powerful, omnipresent being then after warning Adam and Eve not to taste the fruit of knowledge, he would have damn well known that they were bound to do it anyway.

Personally, I don't like the idea that we've been set up to fail from the very beginning. And if you really want to start quoting Bible passages to back up your point, I can quote just as many to show the numerous contradictions within the text.

With the Bible, it shouldn't matter to a believer if it is relevant or not. It's God's word!
Agreed. The Bible definitely should not be used to back up evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_C.002 View Post
Yes. By my definition, being raised as atheist would be just as terrible. It's about being raised to believe something being a reason that's the problem. It's about finding your own spiritual medium, not indoctrination of a spiritual medium from someone else. I don't care whose agenda this is. However, it just happens to be that this one's Christian.

Show me examples of his original post that tells you that he's questioning, which is what I was replying to at that point in time. His opinions were in the latter half to which I had responded to.
He was asking whether or not God exists or not. That is quite a good question. This very forum, this very type of discussion, got me to finally think logically about the member. This very discussion convinced me to become Agnostic.

None of this is about evolution.

Quote:
Look. He's 11. I am not at the intellectual capacity for me to actually teach him anything in such a way that it would make sense for the both of us when it comes to science. The cognitive dissonance exists. I applaud your attempts to help, but be reminded that this is the same for you as it is for me. Why do you think I have such a difficult time debating with them 40 year old guys in another forum? The only reason why we are even having this conversation right now is because we have a relatively smaller gap in comparison to ours to the kid or ours to the 40 year old philosophers.
Does age matter? My Uncle gave me a book when I was 12 about how the Church excepts the theory of Evolution. It explained the theory almost the same way I did, and I pretty much got it.

Quote:
Secondarily, even you confuse the definition of evolution and other aspects of this and other scientific fields, such as abiogenesis and the Big Bang theory. Evolution has nothing to do with anything other than genetic material. Period. Anything we determine to "add on top" are our constructs to learn what is existing. You're not a scientist nor do you study science in school. So while factually what you're saying is true about Big Bang or abiogenesis, there is a mix up of where everything lies in the scale of biological sciences.
That has everything to do with the point. The theory begins with the Big Bang, and progresses to now. I stated we evolved even we did not "see the light" of God. I stated that religion evolves as well, which means it evolves along with us. It is quite a legitimate argument.

Quote:
Thirdly, you're the only one who interpreted this as a jerk move. Please note that you have a natural tendency to interpret any text I write to be hostile even when I'm not, though it is more likely because my writing can be a bit "analytically cold" at times.
Yeah, try to insert a joke in there at times. Like this:

Hay, so your a Psychiatrist?

No, I am a Psychologist.

Oh, so you are only half educated.

Quote:
You also make an assumption that I'm atheist nonetheless. I never said anything about who is being right or not; that wasn't my point. My point was to find out for yourself and stick with that, not what your parents say or what some preacher told you from age 5 to indoctrinate you. I could care less if after you've searched and found that Christianity/Judaism/Hindu/Satanism/Wicca/Buddhism/Muslim/Catholic/etc. is the correct religion; you've found what's right for you. The point of the paragraph was not to specifically attack Christianity or talk about my beliefs (it is irrelevant), but to propose questions and to examine the core of the ideas that exist and show that there are logical fallacies hidden within the different forms of indoctrination that exists. If one wants to straight up tell me "I'm right", then they better have answers to the most common fallacies, or at least have thought about them. The kid's 11, he's unlikely to have encountered those questions before. Heck, I even told the kid to have his cake and eat it.

Science will never strive to prove or disprove the existence of a god or not by sheer virtue of the fact that science is the study of the natural world. It cannot cross boundaries and answer questions about the supernatural. I'd like to keep it that way.
Your belief very much matters, though I think it is safe to say you do not believe in the same god the OP believes in.

I also laugh at the fact that you belittle the OP simply because he is a kid. Love your euphemism. Not intellectually capable. Aha. We all know what you mean.

You also argue with me when we obviously agree on the same thing. However, I do believe science will one day disprove the existence of God, but since I do not know, I am not going to take a side. I think the possibility is high, as it has taken His role out on so much already and debunked so many things. So, enough. We both pretty much believe the same things.

Last edited by Teddiursa of the Sky; 07-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.