View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 03:25 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Do you believe in God etc?

Oh Lord. Here we go again.

I do believe in God. I just have a very different view of Him as of late. I have been doing a lot of research over the past few months. After certain influences have come and gone, certain happenings in my life, I knew I had to change what I was believing. For example, there is a lot in the Old Testament - and some things in the New Testament - that really should be looked over and reconsidered. Not reconsidered as in getting rid of parts of the Bible (unless we want to make another Jefferson Bible, or anything of the sort), but rather thinking, "Is this really what I believe in? Is this really relevant? What is God saying here?'

Quote:
An awful, awful argument that for some reason pro-religious people keep falling back to. There's no evidence that disproves the existence of unicorns, vampires, werewolves, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or Raptor Jesus. If you actually believed in your own logic you'd believe in all of those as well, because hey, there's as much lack of evidence for them as there is for God! (if you do happen to believe in all of the above, then I take my statement back, but in that scenario I would have to question how you remain functioning in society)
Awful argument? I actually find it ingenious on our behalf, and part of the reason why faith in general - any faith at all - is still alive. Your counterargument for this is rude and condescending. You knew what he meant. Though it may be a scientifically sound statement you have there, God is - to my belief - a being that is elusive, covering up His trail with science and leaving people to believe what they want to believe. How can you prove that? God said, "Prove all things: hold fast that which is good." Believe with mind, not with sight. That is the very foundation of faith, is it not? The choice to believe in something - not knowing, which is an entirely different thing - is our own. To criticize this choice - no matter how asinine it may seem - is pointless, because every human has his or her right to exercise it. Though it may not be that way everywhere in the world, they can still believe what they want to believe, because we have free will.

Last edited by Professor Geoffrey; 07-18-2011 at 03:27 AM.