Thread: The US Budget
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: The US Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
You can't claim the world is solely better for America's policies of "policing" the world. I certainly don't advocate us turning a blind eye to calls for help, but our manner and our method is not what is needed. Libya right now is a perfect example of we should act, working as one part of a machine in the pursuit of peace. To presume ourselves as the world's police force leads to things like Iraq.
Right, and what's happening in Libya wouldn't be possible if the US doesn't have the military it has. NATO and the UN are essentially hollow without the US. If the US didn't have the military to back up the entire Western world, coordinated action like in Libya wouldn't happen.

Quote:
Government is not by definition inefficient. It's only attitudes like that that keep it from being properly fixed.

Let me make this abundantly clear: I support cutting down on entitlement spending. But doing so without fixing it where it is very clearly broken will do nothing but harm to the common people, no matter what good it does to our deficit.

And finally, the problem is not that those are inherently empty words. The problem is that the people who say mean them as empty words. It's not that the system can't be fixed, it's that politicians don't want to fix the system. It benefits their political careers in the short term; as long as things stay bad, they can point their fingers at the other side and blame them.
Government is inherently inefficient. There's little incentive for a government to cut cost. They're not out for profit. The methods of evaluating their efficiency are few, far in between, and not at all effective. And democracies, especially one rife with checks and balances like the US, are the most inefficient form of government without even accounting for human laziness or corruption. Find me a democracy that's as efficient as a business, and you might have an argument.

Entitlement spending's biggest "brokenness" is its size, period. The system, by and large, works the way it's supposed to. That's the problem. The way it's supposed to work isn't helpful.

Yes, and you know what? That's not going to change. As previously stated, there is no incentive for the government to be efficient. It doesn't have to worry about profit. It doesn't have to worry about a rational, reliable, and objective way of evaluating its effectiveness. There is no way to objectively and scientifically evaluate the effectiveness of most government programs. What you're proposing requires a fundamental alteration of human nature, which there is no practical way to accomplish.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."