View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Saraibre Ryu Offline
Drasconis Deviantus

Default Re: Starting with all 3 starters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Yes, there are no unbeatable Pokemon. But there are unwinnable matchups. A level 100 Venusaur with optimal stats and moves will NEVER win against a level 100 Skarmory with optimal stats and moves. It's that simple. You can make them anyway you want. I'm telling you the way that will get you the best chance of winning. If you don't want to play competitive Pokemon, that's fine. However, don't think your level 100 Charizard with Blast Burn, Fly, Steel Wing, and Slash is going to get you anywhere.
You really shouldn't generalize. The Pokemon games are NEVER that simple. Optimal Pokemon is within the eye of the beholder. All the Pokemon I have are optimal in my eyes, but in another's, they may not be.

I've had my in-game improperly EV trained, not really ideal natured Charizard take out an Arceus online on her own. I've had my Ariados take out LATIOS, had my Flareon make fools of Garchomp, and I've had my Torterra pull out a win against a two on one double battle match against a Ice Beam spamming Milotic, and status effect abusing Crobat, to name a few examples. I'm sure you'd would of thought the other would of won but that isn't the case Mr. Unwinnable match ups.

And no, I am no cheater, there is no fun in cheating and I wasn't battling noobs who didn't know what they were doing either.

You can be surprised about what people come up with outside the competitive battling mold. I honestly look at the molds people have set as a standard and try not to use them. I like being creative and thinking outside the box, and I still manage to win many battles, however Pokemon isn't all about winning, it's about having fun.

My 'random fun' has won me plenty of battles in competitive areas and I think it's because it's not what people expect. What takes skill is being able to use an unthought of moveset effectively, not what everyone else is gonna use for the same Pokemon. If everyone uses the same thing and is told how to use it, that's not skill, that's following someone elses steps. Someone makes a good moveset, then everyone follows because it's the 'best'.

You play with your favorites, and they work for you. I work hard to make my Pokemon work for me and even though they don't follow this competitive mold, they do very well when I bother to visit the place.

If all three starters appeal to you, I say hell yeah, go for it.