View Single Post
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 PM
Orange_Flaaffy Offline

Send a message via AIM to Orange_Flaaffy
Default Re: Starting with all 3 starters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
No, you're looking at it the wrong way. Competitive Pokemon is no different than other competitive games. For instance, think of each character in Street Fighter as a Pokemon. They all have different styles, but you have to know your matchups against an opponent. You also have to know what moves to use in which situations. Same thing with Pokemon. What movesets, abilities, and items you use changes with each generation, since there's one hundred more of the critters to analyze and fight. And some Pokemon are just suited for certain roles. You don't see Blissey, one of the best special walls in the game, going offensive like a sweeper, do you?

"Random fun" doesn't win battles in the end. It's about strategy and skill.

There are no unbeatable Pokemon. EVERY Pokemon has their weakness. Typhlosion simply doesn't have anything extraordinary going for him to qualify as a top player on an OU team. That's the thing with Pokemon, too- they have different metagames for their tiers. If other games did that, the world would be a better place.
I don't see them as characters however, I see them as highly customizable fighters that, while some roles might be the *best* if you only tailor them in one way, that 'best' takes a lot out of of the freedom someone has to make their favorites anything they feel like making them. By locking a certain pokemon into one or two sets of things they can do, and pushing everything to that limit, much of that freeform fun of the games is lost IMHO.
Personally, I wish there were just as many players that enjoyed simply battling for its own sake, not with tailor made pokemon that are basically cookie cuttered to never lose (against most enemies within type reason), but with everyday ingame, maybe not even level 100 yet, pokemon teams one against another...

I know you guys work hard to raise the sort of pokemon you do, but that kind of battling simply isn't for me. I know this most likely sounds like a much younger players mindset, but when I do get to battle my other pokemon playing friends my own age, this sort of lighthearted battling is the norm :)

My *Fanfics*Blog* Art

Last edited by Orange_Flaaffy; 03-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.