View Single Post
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: The Role Play Forge - RP Creation Teamwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
I prefer the Lovecraftian view, though what you say has merit. The way I see it, Arceus is fed up with having to serve Azkathon (wouldn't you, after having to see your creations destroyed over and over again?), but lacks either the power or the nerve to oppose him outright. But when something unexpected happens with the cycle, he finally sees a hope of resistance and decides to take it. Thus, he summons the Ara'kaiz long before he should have, at a point where the world isn't complacent enough to be wiped out and when the Ara'kaiz themselves are not ready. The Ara'kaiz are really expecting to descend upon an unsuspecting world that has been made complacent by centuries of peace without the capability to defend itself, but what they find is a highly militarized and aggressive civilization waiting for them.

Also, yeah, smaller Pokemon are basically terrified of the Ara'kaiz while the bigger ones are more apt to fight back. So agreed on that point.
Haven’t read any of HP Lovecraft’s stuff, but I can see where you’re going, and it also works. Arceus could be the underdog, trying to find a way to break the cycle by calling in the Ara’kaiz when they’re expecting to decimate a world weakened by peace. Instead, he essentially leads them into a trap, and now they find themselves locked in war against forces that have been very prone to fighting and combat.

But yes, this also works, and if you prefer this route, its definitely workable.

Quote:
I'm imagining it to be a One Ring-esque kind of power, the ability to bend hearts to his will and coordinate his forces with unprecedented efficiency through an omnipresent will that lies in all who swear allegiance to him. So basically, he's Sauron.
The only thing I’m concerned about this kind of power is bunnying, but if the RPers aren’t directly affected by it, then it should be fine. NPCs, however, can be still drawn toward it.

Quote:
My response to this also answers the question you asked and the problem of Ara'kaiz supremacy. Namely, the resistance is battered and bruised, but so is everyone else. The Empire (need a better name for them btw) was decimated by the Ara'kaiz attack and really took the brunt of the invasion. They've been weakened to the point where Morbane decided to simply give up on holding the outer provinces and concentrate his military on the Kanto-Johto complex, where the heart of his industry and power lies. The resistance, on the other hand, has always been lying underground (figuratively and literally) and independent on official infrastructure. As such, they've hardly been affected by the Ara'kaiz at all. The fact that the Empire abandoned the other regions basically leaves them as the only government that exists at all. Sure, they have an enormous job on their hands fending off the Ara'kaiz and attempting to rebuild and arm their forces, but this is basically their trump card. If they can survive and build through the invasion while the Ara'kaiz and the Empire fight each other (both consider the resistance basically a non-threat, at the start of the RP at least, and the Ara'kaiz might not even know they exist) then they have a strong chance of defeating the Empire. Moreover, they can also have an alliance with the non-captured Legendary Pokemon, who form the majority of the remaining Legendaries and more-or-less control the Pokemon of the world. Obviously, Pokemon lack a real organizational structure, so that's an issue that'll have to be worked out over the course of the RP.
Sounds fine, I think that definitely still works. I guess I thought the Empire was still a very strong and dominant world power, but now, I see that while they’re stronger than the Resistance, they’ve lost a lot of their power, and are struggling to take it back from the Ara’kaiz.

As for the resistance, since they still have the legendaries, I guess you’re right that they still have hope, even though their survival depends greatly on how much the Empire and the Ara’kaiz focus on each other and ignore what the fragmented resistance is doing. Also, to make sure people don’t jump on taking legendaries so swiftly and easily, you could require that if they take a legendary Pokémon as a character, that legendary has to start off seriously wounded and/or crippled in one way or another (deafness, blindness, possible limb amputation, and so on), whereas humans that are a part of the resistance wouldn’t be required to do that.

Quote:
So, as I said before, Arceus and the Ara'kaiz are enemies. Arceus summoned them because he saw that the situation on Pokearth was getting too dire, and that humanity would wipe out Pokemon before long. In addition, the fact that they were in the middle of a war meant that humanity was at the height of military strength, so the maximum possibility of defeating the invasion had been reached (by design, Pokemon alone could never defeat the Ara'kaiz; the humans make the difference) So he summoned the Ara'kaiz before they themselves were fully recovered from the last invasion. What he hopes will happen is that the threat of total annihilation from an outside force will cause humans, both the Empire and the resistance, to band together with Pokemon to defeat the Ara'kaiz. Of course, whether that happens is the point of the RP.
Okay, this definitely makes a whole lot more sense. In this scenario, all sides have been weakened in some way, but are still capable of keeping up the fight to some degree. So yeah, if you like this setup more, use it.

Quote:
More points on the Ara'kaiz: Their initial landing was scattered all across the globe since they didn't expect much of a fight, with a higher concentration near Mt. Coronet. As a result, they launched massive attacks everywhere, leaving almost no place untouched by the invasion. Because of the surprise nature of the attack, they did a lot of damage. However, as the invasion progressed and Morbane's armies returned to Kanto-Johto, the Ara'kaiz were driven from the primary population centers there and now mostly lie in bases to the north of the region (in Kanto-Johto anyways, they are still strong in other parts of the world). Meanwhile, heavy Ara'kaiz activity remains in the other regions, where the resistance is busy trying to build up an army to defeat them. The worst is in Sinnoh, which has been rendered almost uninhabitable to Pokearth lifeforms. However, the Ara'kaiz themselves are badly hurt. They were not ready for the invasion, and the scattered nature of their forces meant they lost a lot of resources. Most importantly, the Ara'kaiz have no way to replenish their armies on Pokearth, so the longer the battle goes on the less and less likely they will be able to win. They will lose any war of attrition. As a result, they are experimenting with the cultists to attempt to create an army out of the humans. At the start of the RP, the number of cultists is very, very small, consisting mostly of kidnapped and brainwashed humans.
Okay, this, is definitely a good setup, I think you’ve pretty much balanced everything out nicely with this. And their reasons and motives for using the cultists is definitely a good one, I think you’ve got it pretty much down packed with this.

Quote:
Finally, on Azkathon himself. The Lovecraftian in me says he will have no role in the RP itself at all. The spans of time to which he is accustomed to means he cannot react rapidly to changing conditions, which is why he created Arceus and the Ara'kaiz to do his bidding in the first place. The Ara'kaiz don't expect help from their master, and Arceus knows if that the humans defeat the Ara'kaiz Azkathon can do nothing about it. Heck, he probably won't even know about it until humans are flying around the galaxy in starships. So he's basically a non-factor as far as RPers are concerned.
No problem. Having that extra dynamic to the RP is fine though.

Quote:
Agreed on most points. I think letting RPers control Legendaries is okay, but I don't really want to see everyone in the resistance being Legendaries. There's a lot of disagreement between the Legendaries about whether allying themselves with the humans is a good idea. Arceus hasn't really sat down and talked to them about the whole thing. As for the Ara'kaiz, I wonder if I should let them be an RP-able faction at all. Depending on how high activity is, I'd rather the RP have two factions with a couple of members each rather than three with hardly anyone. I think that the resistance will be the biggest group.
Again, like I mentioned above, forcing people to play a wounded and crippled legendary, if they take them, would deter people from jumping so quickly and so easily onto making a sign up for them. And if they decide to anyway, it would put them in a situation where they’d have to be open-minded and think of other ways of being resourceful. For example, an RPer that’s RPing a blinded Mewtwo would probably have to force himself to use his psychic abilities to telepathically probe the surrounding area to have a bearing on his surroundings. Of course, as he’s doing that, his concentration is divided and can’t use the full potential of his psychic powers for attacking at the same time.

As for the Ara’kaiz, I agree with you that it might just be better to have them as an NPC faction.

Quote:
As for Unova... I really know nothing about it, and I think it might be best to just leave it out entirely considering that we basically know nothing about the region or what kind of Pokemon live there.
Just in case, you could say it was completely decimated in the initial attack, that some kind of Ara’kaiz superweapon (that’s gone too now) destroyed it and leveled it completely. One example is the Ara’kaiz used a void/oblivion displacement superweapon on it, and all that remains of Unova is essentially a hole of oblivion that consumes the existence of anything that flies into it. Thankfully, said Void Superweapon was completely destroyed before it was used a second time.

Quote:
Oh, also, if you still have CNC3 installed we should play a game sometime :P
I have Tiberium Wars (not installed on this machine right now, I’m looking into buying a new computer because the processor on this thing is awful and has had issues lately), but I don’t have Kane’s Wrath. I also haven’t played TW for at least a year by now (replaced mostly by Starcraft II), so I’d be badly out of practice. :P

It’s a really decent game, though every time I’ve played with my brother, we’ve harvested and burned out all the Tiberium fields on the map very, very quickly and many times we’ve hit near-stalemates because of it. Other than that repeating issue, the game is fantastic.