View Single Post
Old 01-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Doodlebop Offline

Default Re: Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
Honestly? Forcing a child to continue to play an instrument will not make him enjoy it, neither will it make him do it his entire life. It simply shows that if the child does not like it, he will grow up spending all his life on the one subject, that he will have to do it for the rest of his life, for it would be too late for him to change his career.
I would like to argue this point. My parents 'force' me to play the cello. They don't beat me if I don't practice or anything like this, but they want me to be well rounded. they just want me to see all my available possibilities, and they're not going to make me be a music major. And while I used to hate playing, I now enjoy playing. Granted, I'm still not too fond of practicing, but yeah. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumAnimations View Post
America is often referred to as the dumbest country in the world, when that is quite frankly, untrue. What statistics do they look at? Not official, most likely. But second-hand sites and the UN (not reliable either.) Are we looking at a small minority they took, or are we looking at the IQ level of every single American citizen on in the Solar System (cool I can say that now, huh)?
Here's what I think it is. Most countries split up their kids at a fairly young age. If you're smart you get a good education, high grades, and so on and so forth. If not, you're probably going to end up doing manual labor. Their percentile is only the smart kids. Our percentile is EVERYBODY.

And while discipline and academics is important, this is seriously overblown.

THANK YOU CHAAAAR. *uberglomp*
Quick note: I usually go by Doodleniks. It you see me somewhere else with that alias, feel free to drop me a line! ;)
Pair: Yo Face Here
My Links