View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Could we manage without technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exon Auxus View Post

I think you're leading yourself to a dead end. What you're saying is, before cities and urbanized society, there was no civilization. That's incorrect - that's our modern, yet general definition . The definition of civilization and what is civilized changes as people and technology grow. There is no set answer. Pre-Columbian Era humans did not claim that they were uncivilized if they didn't live in cities or urban areas. Let me use this example. Before the English settlers first landed in America, Native Americans had thought themselves civilized, and they continued to argue this notion in American courts even in the mid-19th century. I highly doubt that they discredited themselves as civilized simply because they didn't live in an urban society. Even so, there exist journals from the early settlement period that describe Europeans going insane after being exposed to Native American life, claiming it was far more civilized and wholesome than that which they had previously lived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Primarily, the term has been used to refer to human cultures which are complex in terms of technology, science, politics and division of labour. Such civilizations are generally urbanized... Still, even when used in this second sense, the word is often restricted to apply only to societies that have attained a particular level of advancement, especially the founding of cities... The level of advancement of a civilization is often measured by its progress in agriculture, long-distance trade, occupational specialization, and urbanism. Aside from these core elements, civilization is often marked by any combination of a number of secondary elements, including a developed transportation system, writing, standards of measurement (currency, etc.), contract and tort-based legal systems, characteristic art styles (which may pertain to specific cultures), monumental architecture, mathematics, science, sophisticated metallurgy, politics, and astronomy.
Civilization = technology, science, politics, organization, urbanization. There is no species on Earth that possesses the five of these except humans. Also, there is a distinction between the term "civilized" and "civilization". The former may merely mean polite. The latter speaks of a specific form of human society. Furthermore, no one said civilization meant "wholesome". Civilization can be utterly brutal and barbaric.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 12-20-2010 at 11:04 PM.