View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: Movie Reviews [Warning: Possible Spoilers]

With my recent return to viewing movies in the theater instead of at home On Demand, I take my first stabs at writing a review. So, here's Black Swan.

Black Swan

Synopsis: Leading lady Nina, portrayed by Natalie Portman, has been made the new face of her ballet company by it's director, Thomas (Vincent Cassel), and has taken on the leading role in Swan Lake. However, between Thomas' advances on her, her drive for perfection, and the twisted friendship and rivalry she forms with fellow dancer Lily (Mila Kunis), the building pressure begins to press at her grip on reality, threatening to expel her from the realm of the sane.

Review: One of the better psychological thrillers I've seen in a while, actually. I've always personally enjoyed the descent into madness, and Black Swan handles it quite well. Portman doesn't really do much for the movie, although as a man I'm obligated to note that the lesbian scene was, in fact, quite hot. The imagery of the movie was excellent though, particularly the effort they made towards setting Nina and Lily as the White and Black Swans, respectively, as well as the Black Swan dance scene. Overall, I give it 4 Pokeballs.