View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: The problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Really Lus? There's only one definition for every word and any other definition is wrong? I think you need to pay closer attention to what I'm saying: words are not absolute. What they mean to one person they don't necessarily mean to another. Perfect to me means as good as I can possibly make it, while to another it means the best it could possibly be. Likewise, to some people omnipotence means being able to do anything regardless of logic or the laws of the universe, while to others it means having the power to do anything that it is possible to do. You can't say "this is my definition of omnipotence and since God doesn't fit it then you can't call him omnipotent" because within the context of what the other person is saying, they aren't using your definition, any more than my saying "I love chocolate" means I want to marry it. It's a different sense of the word.

You are absolutely right. You can't call an MP3 player that doesn't answer calls a phone. Because there is no definition of the word "phone" which includes such a device. There is, however, a definition of "omnipotent" which includes God, who is able to do anything that it is possible to do.
It's not my definition. It's the definition used in the Problem. You don't seem to understand. The Problem of Evil only arises when God is assumed to be omnipotent by the definition used in the Problem. By using a different definition, you are thus admitting that God is not omnipotent according to the definition of the Problem of Evil, and thus that the Problem of Evil is resolved in that God is not omnipotent.

It's true, in a vacuum, you could be using different definitions of the same word. This, however, is not a vacuum. All the terms we use: God, evil, omnipotence, are used in the context of the Problem we are debating. Thus, if you do not use the definition given by the Problem, then you are not arguing the Problem and your argument is irrelevant and meaningless. As far as the Problem is concerned, by your argument, God is not omnipotent.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 12-12-2010 at 10:27 PM.