View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: The problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
I repeat myself, according to the official stance of the Catholic Church God is not omnipotent by the definition you gave. He fulfills their definition of omnipotence, which I explained above. Please bear in mind, Lus, that words only have the meaning which we attributed to them; language is not a natural thing, but an invented one, and not even close to universal. When a Catholic refers to God as omnipotent, they are most likely using the definition listed above.
And they would be wrong. End of story. I can call a cat a dog all I want, I can use whatever logic I can come up with to make it seem like a dog, but it is a cat no matter how much I want it to be a dog. I can say "A phone is a device used to make calls", and if I try and argue that a MP3 player that can't make calls is a phone, I would be wrong. This is not debatable. If there are things God cannot do, then he is not omnipotent. Anything else is not valid, or somewhat valid, or almost valid, or even has a viable thread of logic that might be conceived of as valid. It is simply wrong. So when a Catholic refers to God as omnipotent using the definition listed above, they are wrong. The end.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 12-10-2010 at 09:58 PM.