View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: The problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusankya View Post
First, let it be pointed out that Christians themselves debate the nature of God's omnipotence.

And second, omnipotence is, by definition, unlimited. There is little point in trying to come up with pseudological explanations to create limits on God's power that "aren't really limits". If what you say is true, then God is not omnipotent. Boom, done. End of debate, problem solved.

@Star: Okay then, sorry.
I repeat myself, according to the official stance of the Catholic Church God is not omnipotent by the definition you gave. He fulfills their definition of omnipotence, which I explained above. Please bear in mind, Lus, that words only have the meaning which we attributed to them; language is not a natural thing, but an invented one, and not even close to universal. When a Catholic refers to God as omnipotent, they are most likely using the definition listed above. Same to Muslims and Jews (our friend Hassan gets a pass because I'm assuming English isn't his first language).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinn View Post
It wouldn't make sense, period. If you're religious, and you do believe in God, you must believe in the Devil for the balance to be there. Otherwise there is no punishment for doing wrong, only rewards for doing right. While quite the idealistic world to live in, it can't be so, thus bringing into play the balance factor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkipraggy View Post
Given that idealistic situation, the counter to the rewards of doing right is that you get nothing, therefore not doing right would then be considered evil as you do not reap the benefits. Beyond a certain point everyone will be expected to reap the same benefits and not having those benefits is regarded as a punishment. Good and evil will thus always exist.
Except that in a world where no one wanted to do wrong, with or without rewards/punishments, then evil wouldn't exist by virtue of no one desiring it, and yet there would still be good because everyone is doing right. This would require a world with no free will, but we've already established that, barring a God that fulfills Lus's definition of omnipotence, which in and of itself I've disproven, evil and free will are intrinsically tied. You're correct in your assertion that good without evil is logically impossible because free will exists, but to say that good-evil=logically impossible in and of itself is wrong.

Last edited by Lord Fedora; 12-10-2010 at 03:59 AM.