View Single Post
Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: The problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
First off, Job was face to face with an almighty being who happened to be pissed off at him. You'd be flattering him in an attempt to make him less likely to smite you too. If you read on he calls himself as worthless as ash later, it's rather amusing.

Aside from that, it doesn't imply that he can do all things, including the impossible. He's saying exactly what I said before, nothing else in the universe can get in the way of what God wants. He was apologizing for trying to hide things from Him, which was pretty damn stupid anyway.

"Is there anything the Fonz can't make work by hitting it?" He was amused at the notion Sarah seemed to have that she couldn't get pregnant even though He said she would. This isn't the Quran and God's word is not necessarily literal.

Pay attention to context broski, because if you note the whole passage "impossible" actually means "so freaking difficult I doubt any man alive could do it" as it's referring to a rich man getting into the Kingdom of Heaven, which according to him is about as difficult as getting a camel through the eye of a needle. It's hyperbole and metaphor. Beyond that, he isn't referring to God's power, but rather that particular note seems more along the lines of the modern expression "I've seen weirder," or else that it could possibly happen.
Attempting to understand the implications and context of a thousands-years old text that has been copied, recopied, translated, and retranslated is difficult to say the least. There's no reason to assume that these quotations are not to be taken literally. At the very least, a literal interpretation is less subject to distortion. Your interpretation of exaggeration is no more valid than mine.

Quote:
And, as has been pointed out, "free will without evil" would fall under the second point, being as mutually repellent as a square circle or dry water.
First, let it be pointed out that Christians themselves debate the nature of God's omnipotence.

And second, omnipotence is, by definition, unlimited. There is little point in trying to come up with pseudological explanations to create limits on God's power that "aren't really limits". If what you say is true, then God is not omnipotent. Boom, done. End of debate, problem solved.

@Star: Okay then, sorry.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."