View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: The problem of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan_Descartes_AbdAllah View Post
When we are talking about the judgment of God, it is not about who has been wronged and the effects of the sin. We could think about this in a number of way, all are correct. The following is my personal reasoning, but it is based on Islaamic Scripture to an extent as well. Lets see if you buy this:

Virtue as defined in Islaam differs from the Virtue as defined in Humanism. While both the worldviews may promote overlapping values like doing good, the difference lies in the motivation from which the individual is coming from. The Muslim does good for the sake of God, while the Humanist may do it out of the objective moral values. Yes, the Muslim does it out of his innate values as a human being as well. But this motivation that is present in everyone (save the sociopaths perhaps) is, in the case of the Muslim, coupled by another thing, which is the Love and Awe of God. In the case of the Humanist, this motivation might be mingled with a lot of other intentions like showing off or soothing conscience(yes, this could happen to a general Muslim too, but Im talking about an exemplary Muslims). As a Muslim I hold that this is not really altruism. Rather when one is able to depart with his Ego and Pride and Selfish concern (soothing conscience is a self-concern) and actually submit himself to God, and attach this consciousness to his righteous deeds, then this is the height of virtue and true Altruism. Now the Qur'am enthusiastically tells us once and again that the intention for everything needs to be for the sake of God, in other words, doing anything for God is considered virtuous, while doing it for any other selfish reason is considered, well, selfishness. In other words still, God is basically an embodiment of virtue. Therefore whatever actions we do are tied to this one concept, and when we sin, it hurts this concept as well. Thus in reality, every time we sin, we are performing a breach of virtue, and therefore God owes us an apology. To put it in a sentence without God: to "make up" for us going against virtue, we need to return to virtue. Thats basically it.

Other people might have other reasonings, but I feel all the other reasonings are somehow connected to this. For example, people might say that by sinning you are disobeying God, so you need to repent to Him. This one sentence has put very bluntly the paragraph above. : -p

As for not adhering to a certain religion does not make you righteous, to a certain extent I agree with this. Because every other time, altruism is non-existent, the man does good deeds for his own selfish reasons, without any self-surrendering and submission. He still has his ego and pride intact, the good that he does only feeds this pride. So to a certain extent, I do agree that the godless is not virtuous. However, beyond that extent, I say I am not one to judge people's righteousness. This is because there is another important thing in play, which is knowledge. I believe Islaam is the Truth, the Whole Truth, and Nothing but the Truth. However, after the fall of the Islaamic State, this Truth hasnt been brought to people upon silver platters. The Muslims have gotten materialistic and lax, and therefore the majority of people all over the earth do not have knowledge as to what we believe to be True, and more importantly, Why we believe it to be so. So since people are ignorant, we cannot hold them responsible for their deeds, since "God alone does know what is within their hearts". As to the point when a person learns the Truth of Islaam and is convinced of it, yet rejects it, I maintain that he is being stubborn and arrogant in the face of truth, so he is indeed not willing to submit his pride, he falls withing the same class of people who are arrogant and egoistic. Do take both parts of the picture into account when you flame me for calling the godless unrighteous.
You know what? As far as I'm concerned, anyone of Islam and Christianity who does good is being just as selfish as the rest of us (not so much Judaism, because the following doesn't really apply to them). Because people of both religions do good not for the sake of good, but for the promise of Paradise and the threat of eternal damnation. At least I, someone who can easily be considered godless, get the right to say that I do good for the sake of good, even if it does stroke my own ego, even if it does fuel my pride, I can at least say that I have done good for no material reward and in the face of no punishment, but for its own merits. And as a Just and Benevolent ruler, I'm sure God's more interested in that than whether I submit to him and make my apologies to him when I've done wrong.