View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator
Default Re: Election Day 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Khajmer View Post
Not something to state with such absolute pride. The thing to say with absolute pride is "I voted for the absolute best candidate," which nobody in this country can say because the primary voting system and the two-party system force us to choose between candidates chosen by the most politically active of the two parties, who in turn are the most partisan and most liberal/conservative (depending on the party) members. Meaning that for the most part, the people who are elected to office are not representative of the American people or the constituents. Independents are given no say in what candidates are put into place except in a few key states, and even there we're only given the ability to influence the primaries. We don't get non-aligned candidates to vote for who have any chance of winning, and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the United States government sucks.
Remember Ross Perot, though; in the 1992 election the American people were so sick of partisan politics that they gave him nearly 20% of the vote. Independents do actually stand a chance in the right climate, and with both parties being so incredibly useless right now...you never know!

Honestly, though, your assessment is pretty much dead-on; the two-party system is stupid and the electoral college is even stupider. I really try not to get involved in politics too much just because of how depressing it is after analysis; right now I'm apathetic aside from my loathing of the Tea Party.