View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 AM
Professor Geoffrey Offline

Send a message via AIM to Professor Geoffrey
Default Re: Origin of the universe?

I know I'm probably going to be criticized for saying this, but I am a Christian. A very reasonable one, but a Christian nonetheless. God did create the heavens and the earth, or at least started the chain reaction that led to what it is now. Now, I do commend everyone's will or need to have a belief as to how the universe was created, but Christianity isn't as overrated as many people make it out to be. Sure, we are told it is unfathomable as to how God formed everything and planned from beginning to end, or how, to recite the popular Bible quote, "I knew you," before He even made Adam or Eve, or even light itself. I belive science and Christianity go hand and hand. God did tell us to seek the truth; He has and always will encourage quenching our thirst for knowledge and the elimination of ignorance. He knew many people were not going to believe in Him because He didn't want to mess with free will; it says so in the Bible if you look carefully enough, and it even says that it will happen to such a large scale in the Book of Revelations.

However, I am disappointed that some in this thread persist to bring up their belief that "fearing that there is no purpose in life" is not a very good reason to believe. I know you're allowed to believe what you want, but it's definitely not a bad reason to believe what you do. It's the general fuel for belief, which often leads to different reasons why we believe what we believe. But that's just my two cents.