View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Charizard Michelle Offline

Send a message via AIM to Charizard Michelle
Default Original Lavender Town Music

A friend of mines brought this to my attention recently:

Quote:
Did you know that the original Lavender Town music caused children to commit suicide?

"When “Pokemon” was first released in Japan, there was an odd phenomenon between children ages 7-12, particularly in those using headphones to listen to the sound effects. Increase of nosebleeds, irritability, insomnia, and addiction to the game, playing for hours and hours on end and crying to the point of vomiting when the opportunity was taken away.

Roughly 70% of these cases ended in suicide.

In almost every case of the aforementioned symptoms, despite gameplay time recorded to the limit of the internal clock, the game had not progressed further than “Lavender Town”.

A closer analysis of the game revealed a tone in the audio of the music for “Lavender Town” at a pitch undetectable by fully developed human ear drums. Within weeks every unsold copy of the “first edition” the game were recalled silently and the game was re-released with re-mastered audio for “Lavender Town”.

The widely known version is said to be missing three extra tones, as well as the unique, binaural tone of the first edition, although this is unconfirmed due to the rarity of working first edition copies; in the known few that remain, the internal clock and ‘battery save’ have all timed out and ceased function, and in many cases the game will freeze upon entering any battle.

The details of the story began to be passed around in mid 1997, said to originate from [link] a defunct URL without credibility."
I never heard of this happening before but it seems like Bulbapedia has a small note mentioning it.

Quote:
In the first release of Red and Green in Generation I, Lavender Town's music track contained a high pitched track in the background at certain intervals of its music. In the American releases and Generation III, this track was removed due to strain on speakers and negative effects on the human senses.
So I am wondering if anybody else has heard about this or know anything more about it.

Source 1
Bulbapeida: Lavender Town

I need to find a new girl-on-girl animation.