View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Fierce Deity Offline
Ultra RPG Official

Send a message via AIM to Fierce Deity Send a message via MSN to Fierce Deity Send a message via Skype™ to Fierce Deity
Default Re: Movie Reviews [Warning: Possible Spoilers]

The Last Airbender

Show's Plot
Aang, a 12 year old boy (chronologically 112 years old when he breaks free) escaped the rest of the Air Nomads and was caught in a horrible storm on his flying bison, Appa. When things got too bad, they were knocked into the water and almost died until Aang's Avatar State saved them and sealed them in what appeared to be an ice chamber. 100 years passed by and an iceberg was exposed to a sister and brother, Katara and Sokka. They broke the ice that let off a bright ray of light shooting straight upward, catching the attention of the exiled Fire Nation prince and his uncle, Zuko and Iroh. Zuko needs to catch the Avatar and bring him back to his father, Fire Lord Ozai, to regain his honor and place on the throne, but at the same time Aang needs to fulfill his destiny and defeat the Fire Lord before Sozin's Comet arrives (gives Fire Nation unimaginable strength), and master all four elements: Water, Earth, Fire, and Air.

Okay, the movie somewhat gives you a brief overview of the plot and what has occurred, but the skip over basically too much of the first season. And by the looks of the movie, he only filmed the first episode to the season finale only, and ended it the same way the show did. While he tried to stay on track with this, Shyamalan strayed pretty far off the plot and added his own twists and turns to the movie, which made it worse. He avoided Jet, the Kyoshi Warriors, and far more mistakes. His "reasoning" for taking the Kyoshi Warriors out was because "I loved them too much. If I kept them in, the movie would've kept going more and more in their direction and stray off the storyline", like he hasn't already?

Pronunciations are also made differently for Aang, Sokka, Iroh, Avatar. In their brief overview of the plot, he mentioned that the Avatar needed to master the four elements, while the movie only showed (not) enough coverage for him to somewhat "master" Waterbending. The movie ends with Fire Lord Ozai speaking to Zuko's sister, Princess Azula, and asking her if she thinks she is capable of handling the big task of getting the Avatar and making sure he brother doesn't interrupt.

In the show, they gave it more of a dark tone and spice. Fire Lord Ozai's face wasn't shown at all until Season 3, as opposed to the movie where it seems like Shyamalan rushed into it too fast. At the Season Finale of the Water chapter, Fire Lord Ozai is in a dark room lit by fire that's surrounding him, with his back towards the camera and Princess Azula kneeling before him feet away. He says "Iroh is a traitor.. And your brother, Zuko, is a failure... I have a task for you," with a very twisted/villainous smile coming from Azula after she exposes her face to the camera for the close-up.

The way Shyamalan ended his 103 minute film, which I think was too short to cover Season 1, showed that there is/might (be) a sequel to the film that covers Season 2, and then possibly Season 3 to conclude the series. But if the first one was trash, why cover two more seasons? The show is an awesome one, but people that get their first impressions of Avatar through the movie wouldn't even want to see the show, but to the contrary, this might attract people to seeing the show to compare the two. If there is going to be a sequel to The Last Airbender, then please give us a way better director. One that won't skip best parts, lengthen the movie, use better actors, and strengthen the storyline of the movie with more action scenes. And please make Sokka funny, just as he is in the show.

Pic Comparison

Spoiler:
Bad Comparisons

Fire Lord Ozai

Uncle Iroh

Prince Zuko

Decent Comparisons

Sokka

Katara

Good Comparisons

Aang (he could've at least been a bit older/taller)

Princess Yue (hot)

Cast
He could've done a much better looking cast for the most part. Since he had characters that didn't suit their image as good as we hoped for, they could've at least made up for that by being good/great actors, but Shyamalan disappointed us yet again with that.

Overall Verdict
I urge you to not waste your money seeing this in the theaters. The 3D-effect of the movie was horrible, and also adds on to the amount of money for the tickets as they also give out 3D glasses. Don't be surprised if the most 3D you'll get from the movie are the credits.

Even huge Avatar fans won't find this movie appealing, so it'd be in your best interest to avoid it at all cost. I left immediately after I saw the first black screen at the end, only for it to return to the movie to show Fire Lord Ozai talking to Princess Azula. But even then, after that mini-scene was done (kinda hints a sequel to the movie), I was one of the first gone.

Rating: 1/5

WAR XI Team: .

Last edited by Fierce Deity; 07-02-2010 at 07:49 PM.