View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
Lusankya Offline
Deus ex Crucio

Default Re: Plotting Ahead of Time

I typically start out with a beginning and an end, with some vague idea of a middle. An idea I've been mulling over recently, though, I'm planning out more in detail, because it involves a lot of secret plotting, counterplotting, Xanatos Gambits and maybe even a Thirty Xanatos Pileup (see TV tropes if you don't know what those are, though I warn you, you may be stuck on that site for a while...).

I guess the rule of thumb is: the more complicated a plot you want to have, you more planning you should do to make sure that plot remains coherent. If you want a fairly straightforward storyline with only a few plot twists, it's pretty safe to go ahead with only a vague idea. If you want a complex web of plotlines, better get out the notepad.

Art Gallery
Dali: "I know what the picture should be ... We take a duck and put some dynamite in its derriere. When the duck explodes, I jump and you take the picture."
Halsman: "Don't forget that we are in America. We will be put in prison if we start exploding ducks."
Dali: "You're right. Let's take some cats and splash them with water."

Last edited by Lusankya; 05-08-2010 at 10:38 PM.