View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Pickleboy Offline

Default Re: Pokemon type matchups versus real life analogies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeirusuFX View Post
I've ben wondering sometimes about some weaknesses and resistances that don't make sense...I'll give a few examples

Water ---> Grass Resistance = If you give a plant too much water, wouldn't it die?

Ice ---> Water Resistance = Ice can turn water to ice, water can also turn ice into water.

Fighting ---> Flying Resistance = Physically abusing a bird would heavily damage them.

Bug ---> Dark Weakness = ...A bug can infiltrate darkness?

Fighting ---> Dark Weakness = You can't touch the darkness.

Can you think of any more or more analogies?

Mairusu
Well, let me start off by correcting a few things...

-Grass absorbs water for nutrition, and without it, it would die. Water attacking plants are only really doing them good.
-I do kind of agree with you on the Ice-Water thing. I don't think Ice should have a Water weakness, but I think Water should have an Ice weakness, though I guess if you throw a cube of ice in a puddle of water, the water isn't going to freeze, the Ice is going to melt and become water, so I guess I can see how Water WOULD resist Ice.
-Physically abusing anything would heavily damage it. The point behind Flying resisting Fighting is that it's pretty hard to hit someone who is flying around, and provided you do hit them, it's probably only just a scrape, resuting in the attack not being very effective. What I DON'T understand is how Fighting has a Flying weakness. I'll leave that up to the imagination.
-Bugs live in the dark, they thrive from the dark. The dark doesn't do anything to them that day wouldn't, so bugs have free reign in any kind of light. I think it would make since that Dark wouldn't be very effective against Bug.
-Well, nothing can touch the darkness in real life, so I guess the Dark-type should be immune to all Types? Dark also refers to evil, and Fighting-Types could be associated with super heroes, who fight evil and always prevail.

One thing that never made since to me was how Psychic prevailes over Poison... I can't think of the logic there. Or how Poison resists Fighting.