View Single Post
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 AM
Lord Fedora Offline
ASB Official

Send a message via AIM to Lord Fedora
Default Re: The Difference Between Faith and Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Master View Post
According to C.S. Lewis( And this is a little beside the poster's first question). most of the "Facts" we say are true is based on faith. For instance. I've never been to Europe, or Paris. But I still believe that it exists. Why? Because people tell me so. NOT because I saw it on TV alone. I mean, just about anything I see on TV could be staged. The news. Sports. Reality TV shows. The only reason I consider such things, like the existence of Europe or Paris is because I have faith in the people who tell me (Like the anchor men and women.)

Are you picking up what I'm puting down?
When I refer to knowledge and fact, I talk about things that can be proven. I've never been to Paris either, so I don't have any reason to believe it exists. But, it can be proven to me that it exists, if in no other way than that you can take me there and then I'll have no choice but to believe you. But you can't take me to Narnia, you can't show me a real dragon, and you can't take me to heaven and introduce me to God. When anyone can do any of those things for me, then I will admit that those things are knowable facts.