View Single Post
Old 03-31-2009, 04:09 AM
Larvinator Offline
Elite Trainer (Level 2)

Send a message via AIM to Larvinator Send a message via Skype™ to Larvinator
Default Re: The Difference Between Faith and Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khajmer View Post
First point, I'm not talking about all religious people. I'm simply referring to those who fall under this category, and the question I pose is to them and them alone.

I have no issues with religion, but there is one thing that bugs me, above all else. The idea of knowledge over faith. I don't mean as in generally, either, I'm referring to a personal level, where an individual doesn't only believe in a religious faith, but is so utterly convinced that they act and talk as if they know for a fact that their religion is true. And, as a matter of fact, some do indeed claim that their religion is fact.

My response and question to all of those people is thus: How do you know? As an agnostic, I ask that question of people a lot, but always silently or without expecting an answer. Now I do. I'm asking everyone who is convinced that it is a fact that their religion is true, not just believing it but thinking they actually know, how do you know?

Third time, just to make sure I get the message completely across, I'm not talking to people who simply believe in religion, I'm speaking directly to those who act like they know it for a fact.
I'm an agnostic-leaning-atheist and I'd love to know the answer to this as well.

Also, Wunsch, I don't know exactly what you are, but you are definitely not a Christian. However, since you've already made a wonderful ass of yourself by bailing on the thread with a random insult, I don't think I need to help any further.
mod warning: Attack the idea, not the person.
EDIT: Point duly noted, Kenny. Since I'd like to redeem myself from being warned, here's a real argument.

Wunsch, the line you brought up was from the Old Testament, first and foremost; that part of the Christian Bible is FULL of things like that. Also, that's one line, as opposed to an entire New Testament full of Jesus preaching love and forgiveness. If God hates everyone but Christians, why did Jesus preach to accept the Jews of his time as neighbors and love them despite their religion?

Last edited by Larvinator; 04-01-2009 at 10:39 PM.