View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 PM
skiboydoggy Offline

Send a message via AIM to skiboydoggy
Default Re: The Difference Between Faith and Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow Fairy Sugar View Post
In my opinion, though Faith and Knowledge can be used to mean different things....both can also be interconnected.

For instance, having faith doesn't mean you're very religious. Faith dervived from knowledge- Example:

The cardiac surgeon has faith in his ability to save the patient.

Knowledge derived from faith: Logic, trial and error. Relying on purely statistics, trial and error's more of faith or confidence, than knowledge.

There's a different kind of faith too, I'll agree. Some people like to call it faith, others call it blind faith- there must be some valid reason after all, for people to have faith in something. What actually is annoying is...middle-men using religion and faith of people as a way to increase their own power/influence. And their determination to stick to their morals/beliefs, and give the people in their religion a bad name. Who can help it after all, though while the middle men potray its the people following them, the people actually follow the God of that religion, but people assume (knowingly or unknowingly) that its the middle-guys to blame.
Still, you can't deny that having faith and having knowledge is technically impossible. You can't believe in the postman's existence, because well, you know that the man exists. On the other hand, you have to believe that he will deliver your letters every day, and nothing will impede his duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Away View Post
The way that I've always seen is is that someone can't portray their faith as 100% absolute fact, because the idea and definition of faith (again, from my view) is the belief in something without the need for absolute proof.

That said, faith going by that definition is something most people have in one way or another. Gravity as most people know it is only a theory, but one most people cling to steadfastly as the force that holds our feet to the ground. Isn't that faith even if it doesn't have religious connotations?
A theory has to be tested to the extent that there's no viable alternative before it can be accepted as a theory. Otherwise it would merely be a hypothesis. =D