View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Synester Offline

Send a message via AIM to Synester
Default Re: Anime/Manga Review

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. Beofre I start, I honestly want to say, that you'd be WAY better off watching this dubbed then subbed, seeing as how the songs are much better sounding that way. Yes, this is a music anime and ALL the songs sound much better in english then they do in Japanese...ALL!

Quality of the drawings
Amazing, even the background characters have some detail to them, the guitars aren't crappy looking either.

10/10

Plot
I believe the anime spans in 2-3 years. Its starts out with 14-year-old Yukio "Koyuki" Takanaka, a seemiling boring 14-year-old juinor high school boy, who saves this franken dog (He has a brown upper body, a dalmation's lower half, and this his upper left face is blue o.O). Luckily the owner of the dog named Ryűsuke "Ray" Minami, a promising guitar player, who hands him a towel after his dog bites him. Days later, Koyuki and some of his friends go to see Ray's band "Cerial Momma" preform, and give Ray band the towel. Days later, Koyuki and a friend from school go to visit him and Ray gives Koyuki a guitar. Moments later, Cereal Momma breaks up, and Ray promises to form the ultimate band. Koyuki finds a mentor to teach him guitar, and after months of practicing, Koyuki is offered a spot in the band as back up vocals and guitar. The story focuses on the trials and tribulations of their punk and rapcore band named BECK, and an important plot that deals with Koyuki's relationship with Ryűsuke's sister, Maho.

Koyuki, who was plagued by his boring existence, gradually matured through experiences with the band and began to discover who he really was.

9/10, seeing as how some of it has been done, but great none the less.

Characters
Unfortunalty, the characters are all overdone ):
Koyuki-The shy guy
Ray-The badass
Taira-Mature guy of the band
Maho-The Love Interest
Chiba-The Funny Badass
Saku-The Opptimist and best friend of the Shy Guy

7/10

Originality
Possibly, one of the most original anime I've ever seen in my life. I've never seen a music anime, and the show actually references other real bands, Led Zepplin, The Beatles, Rage Against the Machine (Ray even plays his guitar like Tom Morrilo for a few seconds :o)

10/10

Enjoyment
I enjoyed this anime more then any I've ever watched, but its short ): All the GOOD anime are short =/. Most of the longer ones suck >.>. Yes, I'm talking about Naruto mostly and some of Bleach >.>.

10/10

Overall
Overall, I'd give it a 9/10 a must watch for any music lover. Plus, the quote in my sig was taken from the show...sorta.

-Prudence