View Single Post
Old 07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Neo Emolga Offline

Send a message via AIM to Neo Emolga
Default Re: Ideas and Premises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Skottie View Post
So yeah... havent written in a long time. I used to frequent this site on a regular basis. I wrote a trainer fic called "An Adventure of a Lifetime" and it ended up taking after it's name because I never got around to finishing it. the link to the story is in my sig. It's about a guy named Kevin Sun, who is the son of Lance the dragon trainer, and his adventures in the johto league, where he tries to escape his father's shadow and earn a name for himself... i think i got up to just after him getting his 7th badge...

So yeh I don't know whether to continue that story or write another. The idea that came to the me the other day is to right about a trainer who is invited to compete in an international league tournament. You are only eligible to compete if you have at least been a league champion in either kanto, johto, hoenn, or sinnoh. It would start just before his first round in the championship and continue on following his progress. the story would be marked with flashbacks, pertaining to how he got some of the pokemon he uses and other relevent past experiences. So depth to his character would slowly be revealed...

Well that is my idea. Would anyone be interested in reading something like that?
Yeah, I remember that story. Heck, you started it even before I came to PE2K. :P

Whether to start something new or continue with writing An Adventure of a Lifetime is up to you. But, if I was in your position, Iíd maybe try something new and different. Heck, I would love to read something new you created, even though An Adventure of a Lifetime is pretty good and you did do a great job with it.

The new idea sounds pretty good with the international league. Reminds me of what the Pokťmon counterpart to the Olympics would probably be. Flashbacks are good every now and then, but I wouldnít do it too many times from present to past. I recently saw The Good Shepherd on DVD and the way the storyline flip-flopped back and forward really confused me as to the chronological order of events. I found it made it harder to enjoy, and after a while, I kind of gave up and wasnít interested in trying to understand the movie anymore.

As for the situation itself, itís a good start, but maybe throwing something else into the mix of things would be a good idea. Maybe this is taking place far out in the future, some political/natural disaster threatens the possibility of the international league championship from taking place, or maybe the main character has a very personal issue that could affect his battling ability, such as a dying family member or having witnessed a very traumatizing event that literally gives him severe insomnia and fear. Thatís up to you, but I think it would put a very interesting perspective on the story and make things uniquely different.

Good luck with it.