View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 05:15 AM
Gem N Ems Offline
Kage no Hikari.

Send a message via AIM to Gem N Ems Send a message via MSN to Gem N Ems Send a message via Skype™ to Gem N Ems
Default Re: Pokemon: Team StormRiders

Okay, i've got chapter 3 done quicker than expected...a lot quicker. So have fun reading it!

Chapter 3: A rescue like no other

I hurriedly shoved the letter in front of Jarre’s face. “See, see! I told you I found it!” Jarre shook his head as the paper tickled his beak.

“I would see if you held it further!” He snapped, but he smiled all the same, obviously amused by how childish I was acting.

“So do you think we’ll be accepted?” I asked Jarre with bright eyes. After Jarre rescued me, we had walked back to his hut and all the while I had talked about the PRA. I kept my meeting with Rye secret though, that was just between him and I.

“Only one way to find out, right?” Jarre beamed at me.

I automatically jumped up, almost bumping my head on the ceiling. “Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” I bounded towards the doorway, but when I turned around, Jarre was still sitting in the same spot and hadn’t moved an inch. “What’s wrong?” I asked him, frowning.

Jarre raised an eyebrow, then burst out laughing. “You look like you’ve just been run over by a herd of Tauros!” He said between giggles.

“Oh, very funny.” I said, looking at the ground. But I couldn’t help it that my cheeks grew hot. I quickly turned towards the doorway and began grooming myself.

The dirt felt like rough sandpaper on my tongue and tasted bitter, like sour berries. “Pah!” I spat out a clump of dirt, “This tastes like garbage!”

“What is it meant to taste like?” Jarre replied sarcastically, “Pecha berries?”

“It’d help,” I muttered to myself between clods of dirt.

When I was finally clean and ‘Shining like a star’, according to Jarre, we left to visit the PRA. “Follow me,” Jarre said excitedly, “I know the way.”

“And you kept it from me!?” I exclaimed rather loudly.

“Well, you were already talking so much. I thought if I told you about that, you’d explode!”

Jarre said to me, grinning as widely as a Gengar. I chose to ignore that remark and focused on following him through the bustling town instead. He lead me down several paths, all of which were very busy. As I was walking, a small Chikorita tried to run past, but accidentally bumped into me.

It looked up at me and grinned, the large leaf on it’s head blowing in the breeze. It had shining, red eyes, a small green body, four legs, a stubby little tail and green bead-like things around it’s neck. “Sorry, I was just trying to catch my friend,” She motioned towards a larger Chikorita across the path, poking it’s tongue out at her.

“We’re playing tag.” She explained. She caught one glimpse of her friends face and laughed. “Polo, you look like a Politoed!” She raced off to join Polo and I was left standing awkwardly next to Jarre.

“Ah, cute kid?” He said lifting an eyebrow.

“Yeah,” I replied. “I like this town.”

“Then you’re gonna love the PRA!” Jarre said, running ahead of me. “Come on, we don’t have all day!” I sighed and ran after him. This was going to take some getting used to.

~ ~ ~

The PRA was nothing like I’d imagined. It was much better! From the outside, it looked like a normal white building with an arched roof and a sparkling, rescue badge in the centre. Two, golden statues stood on either side of a large oak doorway. One was a Pikachu, the other, a Lucario.

“They were great rescuers,” Jarre explained. “The Pikachu was called Prosper, and the Lucario, Lyra. But they both disappeared in a raging sandstorm in the Mugale desert, so we built these statues to honour them.” Jarre’s face grew pale. “I hope I don’t end up like that…” I put a comforting paw on his wing.

Apart from the statues, the building was surrounded by ferns and palm trees. They reached all the way to the top of the building, some even covering the many windows that shone in the sunlight. This it it, I thought as I put a shaky paw forward. Jarre must have been thinking somewhere along the same lines.

“Do you want to go in first, or should I?” He said through a forced smile. I shook my head and pushed open the large, oak doors that lead into the entrance of the PRA. It was almost deserted inside. “What’s up here?” Jarre said, frowning. “This place is usually full of life.”

As if in answer to his question, a large Houndoom came rushing towards us. It had a long, slender, black body with grey stripes that arced over the top. It’s grey horns thrashed furiously, as did it’s arrow-shaped tail. Sharp claws protruded from within it’s paws, and just above them was a metal ring.

The Houndoom mostly looked like a wild dog. It skidded to a halt, just inches from where we were standing. “I’m sorry, but we’re not seeing anyone right now. A crisis is taking place at the Maze Caverns!” She seemed somewhat weary, and out of breath. At that moment, another pokemon came in, this one a Dragonite.

It looked like a yellow dragon, with brown curvy horns, green wings and sharp claws. It flew to the Houndoom’s side. “Lani! Status report!”

“Two small pokemon are trapped in the Maze Caverns! They can’t find their way out, and somehow managed to fall through a crack in the ground!”

They looked at each other in panic. “I already sent a squad of Abra to the area, but I haven’t heard from them since!” Lani replied looking distraught. Something rang in my mind.

“What were the two pokemon?” I asked them, heart pounding. Lani glanced over at the Dragonite, who nodded.

“Two, small Chikorita,” She said hoarsely, “And we don’t have much time!” She raced off and the Dragonite bade her good luck.

“There’s not much we can do now but wait.” He said, sullenly. I felt something from within me that urged me to find those Chikorita. It was strange, but I knew I could do it.

“I’ll go.” I said as I took a deep breath. My voice was strong, and Jarre was looking at me with worry and admiration at the same time.

“Zanna, are you crazy!?” He began, but the Dragonite cut him off.

“Zanna, is it? I’m Codan, but there’s no time for an introductory.

If you really want to go, maybe there’s something I can do for you…” He left without another word and reappeared moments later holding a long rope. “Here, take this,” He said urgently handing me the rope. “And hurry! There’s no telling what might happen if you don’t make it.” I put on a defiant face.

“I’ll save them, Codan. I know it!”

~ ~ ~

Maze Caverns was not what I expected, though it did hold up to it’s name. It was a natural maze! “How will we ever find the Chikorita in this?” I said sadly. Tall, rocky walls formed the entrance to the cave. We were only a few metres in, but it was almost completely dark!

Jarre thought hard, then his face lit up. “I know, Zanna! You can be the ears, and I’ll be the eyes!”

“And how do we do that?” I asked him intrigued.

“Well, I’ll use my crest as a torch and you can use your ears to hear where they are!” I let off a small smile. Jarre may not be tall, but you’ve got to admit he’s smart.

I nodded. Jarre began to focus intensely, until he was glowing red hot. He then transferred the energy from his body to his crest, which acted like a light bulb. Now for my part. I closed my eyes and pricked my ears. Soundwaves echoed off the walls while I searched for the two pokemon.

I snapped my eyes open. “Hurry!” I called to Jarre, racing off into the darkness. “They’re this way!” I bolted through endless tunnels, always one step in front of Jarre, but it was hopeless. I never seemed to be getting any closer, no matter how far I went.

I grew tired, my energy drained from running. I leant back against the rocky wall, and felt their jagged edges, cold against my fur. Jarre slumped down beside me, feathers in a matted mess. “I swear I’ve seen that rock three times now.” He panted, tilting his head towards a large rock nearby.

I had the same feeling. “We’re doing something wrong,” I frowned, “But what?”

“I don’t know. But we’ve got to keep trying-as long as we have hope.” Jarre was right. I still have hope. Strength renewed, I picked myself up and let a few sparks fly from my cheeks.

“Okay, let’s play mazes.”

This time I felt the wall as I went along. I recorded every rock-even every grain of dirt-to my memory. This time I knew we were going the right way. A loud cry emanated off the walls to my left. I gasped and dashed around the corner. The sight that greeted me wasn’t a very good one, but then had I expected it to be?

A very distraught Chikorita was peering down a crack in the cavern. I noticed it as the same one that had bumped into me earlier. “Polo!” She shouted hoarsely. “Polo, wake up!” I ran to her side to give what little comfort I could.

“What happened?” I asked her gently.

“We were playing, Polo and I, when the floor rumbled and cracked,” She had to pause to stifle her tears before she continued. “Polo fell through and big rocks came down and blocked the way out.” She cried, sobbing rather loudly.

“What’s your name?” I asked her. No time for customs now.

“M, Misha.” She stammered back. I took the rope off my back and kneeled down, so I was at the Chikorita’s level.

“Could you hold this for me Misha?” I asked her softly. She nodded, wiped away a few tears, and held the rope over her leaf. I stood up again and turned to face Jarre.

“No time for games,” I said, eyeing the small crack in the cavern floor. “I’m going in-alone.” Jarre nodded gravely.

“Just come back safely, okay?” I didn’t reply. It hurt too much to think that I might not be coming back. I shook away the thought and bent down on the ground, flexing my body as low as it would go.

My fur stood on end, but I inched forward along the dusty gravel, squeezing my way into the tiny crevice. The jagged edges dug first into my fur, then my skin. I winced in pain, but there were worse things that could happen. My paws finally found an edge to hold onto and I pulled myself out of the hole, tumbling towards the ground.

My fur relaxed and I let go of my tensed muscles, returning my body to it’s former state. I stood up weakly and backed myself against the wall. I was in a small cave that was connected to three other tunnels. A few crystals glittered off the walls, tempting me to pick them-but there was only one thing I wanted.

However hard I looked though, there was no sign of Polo. I shook the gravel from my once shiny coat and placed my paw against the wall. A faint pulse flowed through the cold, hard rock and I was sure it was Polo’s. I bolted down the right tunnel on instinct, but I was slowing down rapidly-the jagged rocks had cut my paws badly.

A sudden roar filled the caverns and I froze, pressing myself tightly to the wall. Whatever had made that sound couldn’t be good. I picked up the courage to peer around the corner. A large cave gaped menacingly at me. Crystals hung from the walls, lighting the cave, but they were dim.

Through the darkness I saw a pile of rocks and a familiar leaf sticking out from underneath. “Polo!” I cried, dashing towards him. I fell to my knees and began to scrabble frantically at the rocks, clenching my teeth to soothe the pain now blasting through my paws.

As I lifted the last rock, Polo’s head came into view. His eyes were closed and his breath came in ragged gasps. I picked up the limp figure of Polo, cradling him gently. His eyes fluttered open and I saw fear. Cold, hard fear. “It’s okay now. I’ve got you.” I told him softly.

Polo managed a weak smile before he fell unconscious. Now all I could think about was getting out of here. I made my way slowly towards the tunnel entrance, when the ground began to shake. I almost tripped, so I put my paw against the wall to steady myself. My eyes grew wide with fear as the shaking got worse.

An ear-splitting thud came from above and I looked up just in time to see a metal tail come crashing down. With no-where to run, I tried to dodge the attack, but it was too fast. Searing pain burst through my side as the tail connected, right on target. I slammed into the ground, grazing my fur, and Polo was sent flying across the other side of the cavern.

I just managed to lift up my head and saw him, bruised and cut. “Polo, no…” I cried hoarsely, but it was no use. I had to get to him. I put one paw forward, grasping onto the ground to pull myself forward. Inch by inch I worked my way across the dirt, flinching from the pain.

I reached Polo’s side and collapsed, my head on his leaf. A massive quaked roared, and a huge, metal monster crashed into the cavern, blocking the only exit. It was an Aggron. It looked down at me with cold eyes of steel and growled, thrashing it’s tail about. I dragged myself over Polo’s body to protect him, feeling his warmth on my fur.

I had to get him out, and if this was the only was to do it, then so be it! I stared straight back at the Aggron, clenching my paws. “Bring it!” I cried out, my voice echoing through the cave. No running, not today. This time I fight!

Happy to accept comments, tell me what you think. ^ ^

Team StormRiders is BACK. Read it here!
.......................--> art duo with: Xanthe | bff: k_pop |
Links

Last edited by Gem N Ems; 07-03-2008 at 01:23 AM.